Most people know that when using maps or local services on their devices, your location is searched for. What people tend to forget, though, is that Facebook, certain games, fitness apps, stores, travel apps, and the like all include location services too. It seems obvious when you consider when every time you search on your eBay up it comes up with your location, but because it asked to use this information when you first downloaded the app it’s easy to forget.
This can be a scary thought for many, but there is a way of taking advantage of it: your device doesn’t just make your apps aware of your location, but it stores your location history also. Two ways of being able to retrieve this information is through Google Maps or your device itself.
It isn’t a secret that you can do such a thing, which is why both Google and Apple allow you easy access. In both cases you have the option to turn the service off completely, and you can even delete your Google location history entirely. Since the legal assurances are aplenty this probably isn’t necessary, and your information could potentially come in handy one day.
Your device doesn’t just make your apps aware of your location, but it stores your location history also. Two ways of being able to retrieve this information is through Google Maps or your device itself. Read our tutorial: https://appolicious.com/how-to-find-location-history-in-google-maps-or-ios
For those who do want to find out what they were doing on a particular day, here’s how you find your location history on Google Maps or iOS devices.
How to find your location history through Google
Your Google location history will only be fruitful if you’ve been to several locations with your device or laptop on which you’re logged in to your Google account. If so, the following steps will show you how to find that history.
- Log into your Google account on your device or laptop.
- Click this link https://www.google.com/maps/timeline. It should take you to a map with a search function.
- Select a particular date you’re looking for using the Year, Month, and Day drop-down lists. Your location should appear.
- If you wish to delete your entire location history, click on the bin on the right side of the screen that says Delete all Location History.
How to find your location history through iOS.
While Apple doesn’t provide you as detailed-a history as Google, it can still be helpful. Here’s how to locate it.
- From the home screen go to Settings.
- Tap on Privacy.
- Tap on Location Services at the top.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on System Services.
- Tap on Frequent Locations near the bottom.
- The location name and date should be recorded at the bottom of the page.
- You have the option to clear your current history by pressing Clear History at the bottom, or turn Frequent Locations off by tapping the green slider to white.